Pepper bun (pinyin: Hujiao bing) is a common street food in Taiwan. When I was in Taiwan and passed a pepper bun stall, the smell of pepper bun always let me stop and buy one. It often see people waiting a line in a famous pepper bun stall. When you have the chance to visit Taiwan, don’t forget to try this yummy snack!
This recipe can be baked 12 pepper buns.
Rezept in deutsch:
– Ground Pork 500g
– Pepper Powder 10g
– White Sugar 15g
– 1 Egg
– Soy Sauce 10g
– Chopped Garlic 10g
– Vegetable Oil 2 tbsp
– 4 or 5 Shallot
1. Add ground pork, pepper powder, sugar, soy sauce, egg, vegetable oil and mix well.
2. Refrigerate it.
– Plain Flour 370g
– Dry Yeast 3g
– White Sugar 30g
– Water 230g
1. Add yeast into water and stir well.
2. Add flour and sugar.
3. Wait about 5 minutes for yeast active, then pour it into flour.
4. Knead the dough until combined.
5. When knead it till combined, then cover with a wet towel and set it aside.
– Plain Flour 80g
– Unsalted Butter 60g
1. Melt the butter, then mix well with flour.
2. Set the pastry dough aside.
[Bun Dough] + [Pastry Dough]
– A small package of white sesame seeds
– Sugar water: White Sugar 15g and Water 30g
1. Divide the bun dough into 12 parts and round them as a ball.
2. Divide the pastry dough into 12 parts.
3. Wrap each pastry dough into each bun dough and pinch it as tightly as possible.
4. Set them aside and cover with a wet towel.
5. Take the meet filling out from the fridge, add the chopped shallots to the meet filling. Mix well.
6. Take a shallow bowl and pour some white sesame seeds.
7. Take another shallow bowl for sugar water, add white sugar and water.
8. Roll each of dough ball into strip and rolls up from the bottom. Repeat this step 2 times. Press down on both sides to the bottom.
9. Line a baking paper on the baking tray and set it aside.
10. Roll each of dough ball into a round and wrap meet filling.
Tips. You can divide meet filling into 12 parts before wrapping. Or you can weigh the empty mixing bowl before put in meat at beginning. It is easy to calculate when filling.
11. The top of the bun dip in the sugar water then dip around the sesame seeds. Place the bun on a baking tray.
12. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place pepper buns in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
13. When pepper buns just take out from the oven, it is the best tasty time.
14. They can be refrigerated for 2 ~ 3 days. After refrigerating, put it in preheat 160℃ oven for about 6 to 8 minutes.